Published on March 29th, 2014 | by Priscilla Goudreau-Santos0
Good Riddance to Bad Vibes ~ Escaping Electromagnetic Exposure
We crackle with energy. Natural electromagnetic fields within us regulate how our bodies work. Plus, we continually encounter many outside energy fields from Wi-Fi, cell phones and towers, power lines, microwave ovens, computers, TVs, security devices and radar. A growing number of experts see these surrounding frequencies as an increasing danger to our well-being.
Applying modalities like acupuncture, Reiki, Touch for Health and Eden Energy Medicine can help us maintain a healthy energy balance internally. They work to harmonize the body to protect against stress, trauma and associated illness.
“Just because someone isn’t feeling symptoms from exposure to electronic technology, that doesn’t mean that it’s not having an affect on DNA.” ~ Camilla Rees
Phyllis Traver, owner of Safe & Sound Home, in Boston, is certified by the International Institute of Building-Biology & Ecology to detect, measure and counter in-home electromagnetic activity. “The institute usually finds that when a patient doesn’t respond to treatment by an energy healer, it’s because of the environment. I try to neutralize its effect to help the body regulate properly,” Traver says.
While protection in highly occupied family areas is important, providing protection in bedrooms is especially vital, due to the amount of time we spend there for rest and restoration. Traver’s diagnoses sometimes suggest remediation measures that involve an electrician grounding currents and adding selective shielding materials to block frequencies flowing from electronic devices. “Magnetic fields from outside the house are hard to control, but 98 percent of what I find can be fixed,” she advises.
When Terry Mollner, 69, was having trouble sleeping, he contacted Traver, who receives client referrals from energy healers. “The conclusions were stunning,” Mollner says. “The detector’s measurements went off the charts in the bedroom. It wasn’t the flat screen TV at the foot of my bed, but how the room’s wiring was done. The electrician installed a relay so I can switch off the power on that side of the house at night. Now, I sleep six or seven hours,” which he characterizes as “a profound change.” He also suggests turning off and moving cell phones away from beds. Mollner then hardwired the computers in his home, eliminated Wi-Fi and rearranged the electronic equipment in his home office.
Kim Cook, an energy practitioner in Mission Viejo, California, specializes in Eden Energy Medicine and Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT). Cook decided not to buy a house she was initially interested in because it was in a hot spot. When Cook used her meter to chart frequencies at home, it also prompted her to move her bedroom clock radio to a different bureau. “It’s no longer sitting right at our heads,” she notes. Plus, “I don’t put my cell phone on my body and it bothers me that my son puts his in his pocket.”
An overarching observation from Cook’s professional practice is that increasing numbers of people in pain are interested in energy medicine because they’re so frustrated with Western medicine. She observes, “Pain is blocked energy, and people are learning how to unblock it naturally.”
The World Health Organization (WHO) launched the International EMF Project in 1996 because of rising public health concerns due to the surge in EMF sources. After reviewing extensive research and thousands of articles, the organization can’t confirm—or deny—the existence of health consequences from exposure to low-level EMFs.
But in 2011, the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer classified the electromagnetic radiation from cell phones as possibly carcinogenic to humans, based on increased risk for glioma, a malignant brain cancer. Lloyd Morgan, a senior researcher with the nonprofit Environmental Health Trust and lead author of the internationally endorsed report, Cellphones and Brain Tumors, goes further, unequivocally stating, “Cell phone radiation is a carcinogen.”
In our own environment, we can regulate EMF, says Iowan Camilla Rees, founder of the educational petition website ElectromagneticHealth.org and Campaign for Radiation Free Schools on Facebook; she is the co-author of Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution and Morgan’s cell phone report.
Says Rees, “You can buy a meter, avoid using cordless phones and baby monitors, and change your cell phone behavior. The harmful effects of cell phones decrease with distance; just by holding the cell phone six inches from your head, there is a 10,000-fold reduction of risk.”
Priscilla Goudreau-Santos is a freelance writer and owner of Priscilla Goudreau Public Relations & Marketing, in Charlotte, NC.
Ways to Reduce Risk
Although electromagnetic field (EMF) activity vibrates all around us, there are simple ways to reduce adverse health effects in daily indoor environments.
- Hardwire all Internet connections instead of using Wi-Fi.
- Power a laptop using a three-prong grounded plug and then plug in a separate, hardwired keyboard (this minimizes both the exposure to wireless radiation and the effects from the laptob battery’s magnetic field).
- Use a grounding mouse pad to minimize effects of the electric field from the computer.
- Don’t position any laptop or tablet computer on the lap.
- Don’t live within 1,500 feet of a cell tower.
- Use battery-powered LCD alarm clocks (not LED), keeping them several feet away from the body.
- Don’t use an electric blanket.
- Turn off all wireless devices before bedtime and generally minimize usage at other times.
- Replace cordless phones with corded landlines or use cordless phones only when needed; otherwise, unplug them.
- Never hold the cell phone directly against the head or body. Use the speakerphone function, other hands-free device or another device that meets the Environmental Health Trust guidelines at Tinyurl.com/CellPhoneUsageTips.
- Protect children, pregnant women and men that want to become fathers. Sperm are especially vulnerable. Children absorb twice as much radiation as adults.
- Be wary of a weak signal. Phones work harder and emit more radiation when the signal is weak or blocked.
- Don’t sleep with a cell phone nearby. Place it several feet away from the bed or across the room, turn it off or put it in airplane mode.
- Find more helpful information at Tinyurl.com/EMF-ProtectionTips and Tinyurl.com/CellPhoneRadiationDanger.